Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

07 February 2014

1870 – The Law Club, Nassau St., Dublin

Architect: John McCurdy Gothic club building with two oriel windows at first floor level allowing the members to have a few of the street from their smoking and coffee rooms. Designed by John...

07 February 2014

1869 – Royal Insurance, Dame St., Dublin

Architect: William G. Murray Italianate palazzo by William G. Murray on the corner of Dame and Fownes Streets. Finished in Portland stone, the building was elaborately carved. Demolished when the area was cleared...

07 February 2014

1853 – No. 28 Lower O’Connell St., Dublin

A long galleried shop, probably reminiscent of similar constructed in London at this time. The facade notable for its three-storied window.Destroyed in 1916 Easter Rising. Allen was an orthodox Quaker and although his...

06 February 2014

1870 – Design for O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Turner & Page Design for bridge with steel span and decorative statuary. Entrant in architectural competition to construct a new O’Connell Bridge, replacing Gandon’s Carlisle Bridge. Published in The Irish Builder, June...

06 February 2014

1923 – No. 33-34 Westmoreland St., Dublin

Architect: John Henry Lyons Formerly Hyam’s Building. Hyam’s were a mens outfitters / tailors who also had a store in Edinburgh which went into bankruptcy in 1934. Destroyed when the Educational Building Society...

04 February 2014

1850s – Jurys Commercial & Family Hotel, College Green, Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson William Jurys, a former commercial traveler, set up an inn catering to the commercial sector on Dublin’s College Green in 1839. The inn grew and by mid-century had become known...

03 February 2014

1850s – Fire Station No.2, Whitehorse Yard, Winetavern St., Dublin

Probably the remains of the early Dublin Fire Brigade – Station No.2. Station No.1 being their headquarters on South William St. The first ‘fire station’ was in Whitehorse Yard off Winetavern Street which...

03 February 2014

1838 – St. John The Baptist Church, Clontarf, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne / Ashlin & Coleman Original church designed by Patrick Byrne in a Perpendicular Gothic, opened in 1838. Described in Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Ireland: “Clontarf chapel was built after a...

27 January 2014

1966 – Ballymun Towers, Dublin

Designed as a quick fix for social housing needs, and constructed by 1966, the fiftieth anniversary of the Easter Rising, the towers were named after the seven leaders. The towers were named after:...