Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

19 February 2010

1871 – Gaiety Theatre, South King Street, Dublin

Architect: Charles Ashworth / C.J. Phipps Recently given a new glass and steel canopy overhanging a much widened footpath on a mainly pedestrianised street, the Gaiety can now be appreciated properly. A fine...

19 February 2010

1904 – Fusilier’s Arch, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: J. Howard Pentland A war memorial to the dead of the Dublin Fusiliers, this is regarded as the main entrance to the park of Stephen’s Green. The names of the dead are...

19 February 2010

1931 – No.52 Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe An unusual corner building at the top of Grafton Street complete with modern interpretation of the corner towers used on many Dublin corners. Known as Noblett’s Sweet Shop for many...

19 February 2010

2007 – No. 75, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: Burke-Kennedy Doyle / Homan O’Brien Associates Formerly the site of the Department of Justice, a 1960s era office building, which was demolished in the early part of the 21st century for redevelopment....

19 February 2010

1680 – State Apartments, Dublin Castle

The State Apartments in Dublin Castle were originally constructed as living accommodation for the Lord Lieutenant. The Lord Lieutenants preferred the comforts of the Phoenix Park residence however and tended to live there...

19 February 2010

1204 – Dublin Castle

Dublin Castle has been a constantly developing architectural entity from its foundation in the 12th century up to the present day. It was founded in 1204 by order of King John who wanted...

19 February 2010

1830 – Garden Front, Dublin Castle

The rear of the exterior of the State Apartments buildings has a differing treatment from the upper yard. Much of the exterior is simply stuccoed and has been painted in bright colours by...

19 February 2010

1714 – Treasury Building, Dublin Castle

The lower yard of Dublin Castle is built on a steep incline leading up to the upper yard. This posed problems for building so that the Chapel Royal to the south has a...

19 February 2010

1838 – Police Office and Armoury, Dublin Castle

Architect: Jacob Owen A fine small neo-classical building in the lower yard of Dublin Castle – of five bays with a large central carriage arch. Built as the Police Office Yard and Armoury.