Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

11 February 2010

1909 – Gilbert Library, Pearse Street, Dublin

Architect: C.J. McCarthy / Dublin City Architect’s Department Designed originally by the city architect C.J. McCarthy, and extended nearly one hundred years later by his successor, the Dublin City Architect’s Department, the Gilbert...

11 February 2010

1897 – Former St. Andrew’s National Schools, Pearse Street, Dublin

Architect: William Hague Now a community resource centre, this fine Victorian building was constructed as boys and girls national schools in 1895-97. The five part composition has a central breakfront with decorative terracotta...

11 February 2010

1862 – Enterprise Centre, Pearse Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred Darbyshire Fine eight storey, five bay stone warehouse, with projecting corner bays, now part of an enterprise centre. The interior structure boasts brick vaults between wrought iron beams.

11 February 2010

1902 – Sunlight Chambers, Parliament Street, Dublin

Architect: Edward Ould Designed as Dublin offices for Lord Lever (of Lever Brothers), by the Liverpool architect Edward Ould who also designed Port Sunlight. Built in a romantic Italianate style with its wide...

10 February 2010

1962 – Hawkins House, Poolbeg Street, Dublin

Architect: Sir Thomas Bennett In a poll in 1998, this was voted the worst building in Dublin by the readers of Archiseek. Now due for a badly needed facelift, this much derided building...

10 February 2010

2004 – Liffey House, Tara Street, Dublin

Architect: Donnelly Turpin Architects Various Departments of the former Dublin Corporation were accommodated in the original Liffey House. This building, located at the junction of Tara Street with Townsend Street was typical of...

10 February 2010

1884 – SS Augustine and John, Thomas Street, Dublin

Architect: Pugin & Ashlin The tallest existing spire in Dublin and sited on high ground so as to be visible from the Liffey valley, SS Augustine and John on Thomas Street was designed...

10 February 2010

1757 – St. Mark’s Church, Pearse Street, Dublin

With its main entrance front facing onto Mark Street, St Mark’s is an interesting building set back from the street still within its grassy churchyard. Built between 1729-57, the main front looks unfinished,...

10 February 2010

1915 – Vocational Education College, Bull Alley, Dublin

Architect: McDonnell & Reid The most dominant building on Bull Alley is the Vocational Education College (VEC) designed in a Flemish Renaissance style by L.A. McDonnell. Easily the best site in the Iveagh...