Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

05 February 2010

1860 – Molyneux Church and Asylum for Blind Females, Leeson Park, Dublin

Architect: Rawson Carroll Winning entry for an architectural competition held in late 1859. Unsuccessful entrants included William G. Murray, John McCurdy, and William Barre. Foundation stone was church laid in June 1860 with...

05 February 2010

1865 – Dublin Exhibition

Architect: Alfred G. Jones This was the second of three major International Exhibitions held in Dublin, constructed on what later became Iveagh Gardens – a previous exhibition was held in Merrion Square (1853...

05 February 2010

1864 – Proposed University of Ireland, Clonliffe, Dublin

Architect: J.J. McCarthy A proposal for a Roman Catholic University of Ireland in Clonliffe. First published in the Dublin Builder, 1 April 1863. Plan published in The Builder, August 20 1864.

05 February 2010

1999 – Dublin Zoo Entrance, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker This is the current entrance building situated just down the road from the two previous entrances to the zoo. A very modern structure, the roof seems to float over...

05 February 2010

1892 – Roberts House, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The finest building in the zoo, this little gem is still in use and maintained in good condition. A decorative brick exterior masks a wonderful toplit interior space with fine...

05 February 2010

1899 – Haughton House, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: L.A. McDonnell The building of 1898 was surrounded for many years by poor quality extensions, only the architectural detail around the roof and eaves could be discerned. Built as the Haughton Memorial...

05 February 2010

1833 – Original Entrance, Dublin Zoo, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: William Deane Butler There have been three turnstile entrances to the Zoo grounds. This, the earliest of them, is a quaint little cottage ornee with thatched roof.

05 February 2010

1867 – Zoological Society House, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John McCurdy Solid large house with many round headed windows on the first floor. Much overlooked by visitors to the Zoo.

05 February 2010

1874 – Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller & William Young Originally a Georgian two-storey house, belonging first to the Coote family, and then to the Trenches, Farmleigh was bought by the 1st Earl of Iveagh (Guinness family)...