Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

05 February 2010

1840 – Islandbridge Gate Lodge, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Jacob Owen Another fine gatelodge to the park, complete with ornate metal revolving pedestrian gate by J. & C. McGloughlin and unusual octagonal piers. The house is in a Tudo cottage orné...

05 February 2010

1833 – Chapelizod Gate Lodge, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Decimus Burton Possibly the finest building in the park, the wonderful example of a classically designed residence was built on an axis with the Hibernian Military School (St Mary’s Hospital) in 1836....

05 February 2010

1811 – Main Entrance, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Decimus Burton Gatelodge at the main entrance to the park at Parkgate Street.

05 February 2010

1786 – Irish Army Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: James Gandon A building often overlooked by visitors to the park, the Army Headquarters was built by James Gandon as the Royal Military Infirmary. Gandon was paid in 1786 for the designwork,...

05 February 2010

1776 – American Ambassador’s Residence, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Sited near the centre at the park, just off Chesterfield Avenue and close to àras an Uachtaráin is the residence of the ambassador of the United States of America to Ireland. A grand...

05 February 2010

1771 – Royal Hibernian Military School Chapel, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Cooley Built as the chapel for the Royal Hibernian Military School, this wonderful little building is now in the grounds of St Mary’s Hospital of which the original buildings of the...

05 February 2010

1766 – Royal Hibernian Military School, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Formerly the Royal Hibernian Military School, for children of deceased soldiers, it originally may have been designed by Thomas Cooley who did the school chapel in the grounds. Thirty years...

05 February 2010

1751 – Aras an Uachtarain, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: John Ensor Aras an Uachtarain is the Official Residence of the President of Ireland, and was formerly the Viceregal Lodge until independence in 1922. The original house was built by Park Ranger...

05 February 2010

1747 – Phoenix Monument, Phoenix Park, Dublin

A Corinthian column with a Phoenix rising from the ashes at its pinnacle. It was erected by Lord Chesterfield in 1747. During the early part of the twentieth century, it was moved from...