Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

01 February 2010

1858 – Church of Our Lady, Star of the Sea, Sandymount, Dublin

Architects: J.J. McCarthy / W.H. Beardwood The main facade with its three gables demonstrates the interior layout; the aisles and nave are the same width. Designed by J.J. McCarthy in 1851-58, it was...

01 February 2010

1900 – Whooley’s Pharmacy, Sandymount, Dublin

Originally built as a Chandler’s shop, the Art Nouveau facade was added around 1900 to add light to the interior. Has since been adapted to a restaurant and now a chemist’s shop.

01 February 2010

1864 – Christchurch Methodist Church, Sandymount, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Pretty little church building in its own extensive grounds. The church is a simple Gothic Revival design with a decorative rose window in the west fa├žade. The porch was...

01 February 2010

1850 – St John’s Church of Ireland, Sandymount, Dublin

Architect: Benjamin Ferrey Like St Bartholemew’s in Ballsbridge, this was commissioned by Sidney Herbert after whom nearby Sidney Parade is named. The architect here was the biographer of Pugin – Benjamin Ferrey. The...

01 February 2010

1863 – Church of the Sacred Heart, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne / Pugin & Ashlin Originally designed by Patrick Byrne, but he resigned the commission in 1863 (at this stage he was in his eighties). The project was then taken over...

01 February 2010

1953 – Donnybrook Bus Garage, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Donnybrook Bus Garage was completed in 1952. This was a much more radical building than Inchicore and was designed in association with the Danish engineer Ove Arup (1895-1988) whom Michael...

28 January 2010

1796 – Kilmainham Jail, Dublin

Built in 1796, Kilmainham Jail has witnessed many of the events leading to Irish independence: Prisoners from the United Irish Rebellion of 1796, the Emmet Rebellion of 1803, the Great Famine of 1845...

28 January 2010

1820 – Courthouse, Kilmainham, Dublin

Built in 1820 to replace an older structure, the courthouse is sited next to the former gaol. The building is finished with austere stonework and the Royal coat-of-arms in the pediment. Closed in...

28 January 2010

1812 – Richmond Tower, Kilmainham, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Designed by Francis Johnston (1760-1829) in a mock-Tudor style, this gateway was originally sited beside the Liffey at the foot of Watling Street and Queen’s Bridge. In 1847 when the...