Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

01 February 2010

1953 – Donnybrook Bus Garage, Donnybrook, Dublin

Architect: Michael Scott Donnybrook Bus Garage was completed in 1952. This was a much more radical building than Inchicore and was designed in association with the Danish engineer Ove Arup (1895-1988) whom Michael...

28 January 2010

1796 – Kilmainham Jail, Dublin

Built in 1796, Kilmainham Jail has witnessed many of the events leading to Irish independence: Prisoners from the United Irish Rebellion of 1796, the Emmet Rebellion of 1803, the Great Famine of 1845...

28 January 2010

1820 – Courthouse, Kilmainham, Dublin

Built in 1820 to replace an older structure, the courthouse is sited next to the former gaol. The building is finished with austere stonework and the Royal coat-of-arms in the pediment. Closed in...

28 January 2010

1812 – Richmond Tower, Kilmainham, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Designed by Francis Johnston (1760-1829) in a mock-Tudor style, this gateway was originally sited beside the Liffey at the foot of Watling Street and Queen’s Bridge. In 1847 when the...

26 January 2010

1904 – St. Joseph’s Church, Terenure, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Byrne Large and relatively uninteresting Gothic revival church started in 1904 but later extended in 1952, leaving the altar in the centre of the long nave, and two main entrance fronts....

26 January 2010

1773 – Casino, Marino, Dublin

Architect: Sir William Chambers Acknowledged as the most important neo-classical building in Ireland, the Casino was designed by Sir William Chambers for Lord Charlemont as a garden pavilion at his Marino Estate. The...

26 January 2010

1862 – Christ Church Presbyterian, Rathgar, Dublin

Architect: Andrew Heiton Designed in the 14th century French Gothic style, this Presbyterian church occupied an awkward and important site in Rathgar. At the main road junction in the village, the site slopes...

26 January 2010

1860 – Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne The Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar Road was built between 1860 and 1862 and was one of the last buildings of Patrick Byrne who built many churches in Dublin....

26 January 2010

1884 – Great Palm House, Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin

Costing £800, the Great Palm House, which was made of wood and iron, was prefabricated in the Scottish town of Paisley by James Boyd & Son. It was shipped to Ireland in pieces,...