Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

20 January 2010

1971 – Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Burlington Road, Dublin

Architect: Stephenson Gibney & Associates With a debt to Kahn’s theory of serviced spaces and services, the Institute for Advanced Studies has a solid spine containing stairs, lift and services, off which hangs...

20 January 2010

1998 – Herbert Park Offices,, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Adjacent to the hotel and apartment blocks is this large office block that steps down to the river.

20 January 2010

1998 – Herbert Park Hotel, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Architect: O’Mahony Pike A fairly bland hotel architecturally with a large bedroom block running towards an entrance of the Herbert Park. The other end comes to a pointed end facing towards Northumberland Road...

20 January 2010

1998 – Park Lane Apartments, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Architect: O’Mahony Pike With the nearby hotel and apartment block, this constitutes the old Johnston Mooney & O’Brien bakery site, and was the subject of a political scandal some years ago. Now redeveloped,...

20 January 2010

1929 – Pembroke Library, Anglesea Road, Dublin

Architect: Arnold F. Hendy A graceful little library with a rather unfortunate porch attached. This small brick library just off Merrion Road and surrounded by RDS property has an interesting central bay. This...

20 January 2010

1764 – Mellows Bridge, Dublin

This is the oldest standing bridge spanning the Liffey. Built in 1764 and completed in 1768, it was originally known as Queens Bridge after Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. It was...

20 January 2010

1880 – O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O’Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named after the then Viceroy – Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and...

20 January 2010

1816 – O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Knowles & James Savage Built in 1813 and opened in 1816, this was originally known as Richmond Bridge after the Viceroy – it was later renamed after Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa (1831-1915)...

20 January 2010

1816 – Ha’penny Bridge, Dublin

Accepted as the symbol of Dublin, the Ha’penny Bridge (offically Wellington Bridge after the ‘Iron Duke’) was opened in 1816. Cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire in England, the bridge acquired its unofficial moniker...