Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

20 January 2010

1816 – O’Donovan Rossa Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Knowles & James Savage Built in 1813 and opened in 1816, this was originally known as Richmond Bridge after the Viceroy – it was later renamed after Jeremiah O’Donovan Rossa (1831-1915)...

20 January 2010

1816 – Ha’penny Bridge, Dublin

Accepted as the symbol of Dublin, the Ha’penny Bridge (offically Wellington Bridge after the ‘Iron Duke’) was opened in 1816. Cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire in England, the bridge acquired its unofficial moniker...

20 January 2010

1818 – Father Mathew Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Knowles & James Savage Originally the site of the only bridge crossing the Liffey until 1674, Fr Mathew Bridge is named after a proponent of abstinence from alcohol. The current bridge...

20 January 2010

1829 – Heuston Bridge, Dublin

Architect: George Papworth Once virtually unused since the opening of a new bridge beside it to cope with the heavy traffic, and now dedicated as a bridge for the Light Rail, Heuston Bridge...

20 January 2010

1859 – Rory O’More Bridge, Dublin

Opened in 1859, Rory O’More Bridge is named after one of the ringleaders of a plot to capture Dublin in October 1641. Previously the bridge was known as Queen Victoria Bridge. Prior to...

20 January 2010

1874 – Grattan Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Named after Henry Grattan MP (1746-1820) and opened in 1874. The original bridge on this site was built in 1676 and called Essex Bridge after the Lord Lieutenant Arthur...

20 January 2010

2000 – Millenium Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Howley Harrington One of the new generation of bridges on the Liffey, the Millenium Bridge was the second footbridge on the river, and is a simple span projecting from stone abutements on...

20 January 2010

2003 – James Joyce Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Santiago Calatrava Named after the Dublin author James Joyce whose story “The Dead” is set in a house facing the bridge, this was one of two Santiago Calatrava projects planned for Dublin...

20 January 2010

2005 – Sean O’Casey Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Cyril O’Neill This pedestrian bridge, which links Custom House Quay with City Quay, is named after the Dublin writer Sean O’Casey. The bridge is directly opposite Stack A, the 19th century warehouse...