Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dublin

15 October 2009

1810s – Fitzwilliam Street, Dublin

Twelve early 19th century Georgian houses that were demolished by the ESB in the early 1960s to build a new headquarters by Stephenson Gibney & Associates. The architect Sam Stephenson argued at the...

17 September 2009

1878 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne Second placed entry to design the South City Markets on Great Georges Street. The original was badly damaged by a serious fire in 1892, the adaption was handled by...

17 September 2009

1879 – Sedes Sapientiae (Training School) Baggot St., Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson In the early 1830s Catherine McAuley started training courses in the Baggot Street Convent to qualify able students who wished to become governesses or teachers in various schools throughout...

17 September 2009

1875 – Convent of Mercy, Brickfield Lane, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson From The Architect, November 20, 1875: The convent and chapel illustrated in the present number have been erected in connection with St. Joseph’s Night Refuge for homeless women and...

17 September 2009

1881 – St. Mary of the Angels, Church Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The Roman Catholic church, St Mary of the Angels was designed by the leading church architect J.J. McCarthy who unfortunately died before it was completed in 1881. The plans were...

17 September 2009

1900 – Nurses’ Home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital

Architect: Albert E. Murray Designed as the nurses’ home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital on nearby Baggot Street, this is now a hotel. “This is being erected in St. Mary’s-road, the recreation...

17 September 2009

1880 – Design for O’Brien Institute, Marino, Clontarf

Architect: John L. Robinson Now known as the O’Brien Institute, this building was to serve as an orphan home and school, financed by a trust that was founded by Bridget O’Brien in 1876....

17 September 2009

1881 – Drawing Room, Blackheath, Contarf

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew Interior view including ground plan & key. Published in The Building News, March 4th 1881. “This sketch gives the interior of a ball-room, which forms part of additions to...

17 September 2009

1885 – St. Saviour’s Dominican Convent, Dublin

Architect: John L. Robinson Adjacent to the fine St Saviour’s Church by J.J McCarthy is the monastery designed by John Loftus Robinson in 1885 from the funds that was originally intended to add...