Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Dun Laoghaire

14 April 2014

1880s – Boland’s Bakery, 9 Georges St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

One of the Boland’s retail shops around Dublin, this shop on George’s Street was a fine Victorian building, with ornate stucco and shopfront. Boland’s had several bakeries in the city as well as...

14 April 2014

1880 – Boland’s Bakery, 14 Cumberland St., Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Boland’s Bakey at one time had a network or shops as well as bakeries around Dublin. There was two outlets in Dun Laoghaire, then Kingstown, and what was described as a “model bakery”....

17 October 2013

1850 – Royal Irish Yacht Club, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Skipton Mulvany Constructed between 1847 and 1850, at a cost of around £4,000. From The Builder: “The Royal Irish Yacht Clubhouse, Kingstown, county Dublin, of which a view of the water...

23 April 2013

1895 – Railway Station, Carlisle Pier, Dun Laoghaire

Recently demolished, this Victorian railwayshed lay largely hidden by a 1950s passenger terminal. Originally trains met the ferries coming in from the UK via a railway spur from the main line. When the...

23 October 2012

1903 – The Pavilion, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Pavilion and pleasure grounds incorporating concert hall, sun lounge, and tea rooms. Originally constructed in 1904, but rebuilt in 1916 after a fire the previous year. Later pulled down...

01 October 2012

1821 – Memorial of Kings Visit to Ireland, Dun Laoghaire

To commemorate the visit of King George IV to Ireland, the first occasion a British monarch had visited Ireland since the reign of Richard II. “The small truncated pyramidal Column at Kingstown which...

03 February 2011

2008 – Commissioners of Irish Lights, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Scott Tallon Walker The headquarters of the Commissioners of Irish Lights is designed as a beacon along Dun Laoghaire’s waterfront. This site has been the home of the Commissioners of Irish Lights...

07 July 2010

1847 – Lighthouse East Pier, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Halpin, This permanent lighthouse and dwelling was designed by Chief Engineer with the Ballast Board, George Halpin, with some later alterations by Jacob Owen. The cost of the granite tower was...

28 January 2010

1865 – Presbyterian Manse, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: Charles Geoghegan Fine Victorian manse by Charles Geoghegan in the grounds of Andrew Heiton’s French gothic church on York Road.