Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh New Town

02 September 2009

1890 – National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson The building mixes Italian and Gothic styles and was constructed between 1885 and 1890 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) as the National Museum of Antiquities. It is...

02 September 2009

1852 – Bank of Scotland, St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce Formerly the British Linen Bank but now a branch of the Bank of Scotland, this sumptuous branch is at 38-39 St Andrew Square. The elaborate facade features an order or...

02 September 2009

1823 – Melville Monument, Edinburgh

Architect: William Burn Built in 1823, the Melville Monument is a 41 metre high tribute to Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville. Described as the most powerful scot of his time and described as “absolute...

02 September 2009

1772 – Buchan House, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

One of the original houses (the home of the Earl of Buchan) on St Andrew Square and originally harled. The ground floor was adapted in 1840. The building was cleaned and pointed in...

02 September 2009

1771 – Dundas Mansion, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir William Chambers Built on a prominent site on St Andrew’s Square, this would have be the site for a church to mirror that built as St George’s Church on Charlotte Square....