Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh

06 May 2014

1962 – Unbuilt Proposal for St. James, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir Basil Spence Sir Basil Spence’s concept for the redevelopment of the St James area in 1962. The proposal involved the total obliteration of Leith Street and the construction of a subterranean...

06 May 2014

1871 – Seaside Pier, Portobello, Edinburgh

Architect: Thomas Bouch A promenade pier, 1250 feet long, with, at the seaward end, a substantial pierhead surmounted by an imposing pavilion with restaurant, bar and bandstand. The new pier was the first...

06 May 2014

1960 – Goldberg’s Department Store, Tollcross, Edinburgh

Architect: J. & F. Johnston & Partners Goldberg’s Department Store opened in 1960 at High Riggs in Tollcross and wasintended to be the focal point in a new road system for Tollcros –...

06 May 2014

1894 – Chancelot Flour Mills, Edinburgh

This grand sandstone building, with its distinctive four-face clock tower, was erected in 1891, beside Dalmeny Road in Bonnington, and dominated the area for many years. Following an explosion, the building was gutted...

07 April 2014

1901 – Wesleyan Mission Hall, Earl Grey St., Edinburgh

Architect: Dunn & Findlay “Building operations will shortly be commenced with the new halls and other premises for the Wesleyan Mission at the comer of Earl Grey-street and Wellington-place, a site at present...

07 April 2014

1899 – Royal British Hotel, Princes St., Edinburgh

Architect: James Macintyre Henry Still a hotel today although much butchered at street level. “This building occupies a prominent site in Princes-street. The pilasters and trusses at the main entrance and the columns...

01 April 2014

1898 – Boarding House, Edinburgh Academy

Architect: Alexander X. Paterson “The two houses, one of which is illustrated, are being built by the Edinburgh Academy to provide boarding-houses in connection with the Academy school. They occupy an admirably open...

29 January 2014

1905 – Unbuilt Design for County Buildings, Edinburgh

Architect: J.N. Scott & A. Lorne Campbell Premiated entry in architecture competition for new County Administrative Building. The selected design by James Macintyre Henry, only placed fourth in the competition and was completed...

19 January 2014

1907 – Lothian Chambers, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: James Macintyre Henry Lothian Chambers, formerly the Midlothian County Buildings, at the corner of George IV Bridge and the Royal Mile. Although only placed fourth in the competition to design the new...