Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh

10 January 2014

1861 – Congregational Church, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh

Architect: J.W & J. Hay “Our readers will recollect an engraving which lately appeared in our paper, of Dr. Alexander’s Church, built on George IV. Bridge, Edinburgh, the building was opened on the...

07 November 2012

1826 – Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: William Henry Playfair Originally constructed between 1824-26, the Royal Institution (as it was until 1911) was extended in the 1830s to create the building we see today. The Egyptian sphinxes on the...

14 May 2012

1879 – Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: David Bryce The new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, constructed between 1870 and 1879 provided an unprecedented 600 beds, arranged in eight three-storey pavilions with one large ward on each floor. At the...

06 May 2012

1886 – International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art, Edinburgh

Architect: Charles C. Lindsay In 1886, Prince Albert Victor, grandson of Queen Victoria, officially opened the International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art, a sensational spectacle in the grand Victorian tradition held on...

27 March 2012

1884 – House, Oswald Road, Edinburgh, Scotland

Architect: Robert Morham Perspective view of new house in Oswald Road in The Architect, July 12th 1884.

20 March 2012

1903 – North British & Mercantile, Princes St., Edinburgh

Architect: Peddie & Washington Browne Magnificent Italian palazzo for an insurance company on Edinburgh’s Prince’s Street. With its strong ground floor rustication, and magnifent first floor window surrounds, this was a fantastic exercise...

06 May 2011

1881 – Calton Jail, Edinburgh

Architect: W.B. Collinson The notorious Calton Jail wasa complex comprising a Debtors’ Prison, the Bridewell (1791-96) by Robert Adam (later replaced) and a Felons’ Prison of 1815-17 by Archibald Elliot. Largely rebuilt in...

06 May 2011

1880s – Sheriff Court, Edinburgh, Scotland

Demolished 1938 and eeplaced by the National Library of Scotland, which was constructed between 1938 and 1956

25 February 2011

1873 – Design for Edinburgh Cathedral

Architect: George Edmund Street Perspective view of unsuccessful design for Edinburgh Cathedral – the commission was won by George Gilbert Scott. Published in The Architect, January 11th 1873.