Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh

06 May 2010

1878 – Grocery & Provision Warehouse, Leith, Edinburgh

Architect: James Simpson / William Mercer Built for the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society over several years. After the initial construction of 1878, it was doubled in length by architect William Mercer of the...

02 September 2009

2004 – Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh

Architect: EMBT/RMJM

02 September 2009

1956 – National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh

Architect: Reginald Fairlie Located on George IV Bridge in Edinburgh is the main building of the National Library of Scotland, Scotland’s only copyright deposit library. A pre-war design, the foundations were laid and...

02 September 2009

1907 – Burtons Department Store, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir John James Burnet Scotland’s first steel framed building, this is a fine corner building originally built as a department store for Burtons. It is still in use as commercial premises but...

02 September 2009

1901 – Standard Life Assurance, Edinburgh

Architect: J.M. Dick Peddie Elegant corner building which is now part of a larger office campus for Standard Life Assurance. Quite austere but for the decorative frieze under the cornice and the overly...

02 September 2009

1902 – Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh

Architect: William Hamilton Beattie Sumptuous railway hotel built at one end of Princes Street as the North British Hotel. At the other end of the street, a rival railway company built another hotel,...

02 September 2009

1892 – Jenners Department Store, Edinburgh

Architect: William Hamilton Beattie Jenners on Princes Street is not just a large department store, it is an Edinburgh institution – the Harrods of Edinburgh. Jenners is the oldest independent department store in...

02 September 2009

1890 – National Portrait Gallery, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson The building mixes Italian and Gothic styles and was constructed between 1885 and 1890 by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) as the National Museum of Antiquities. It is...

02 September 2009

1879 – St Mary’s Episcopalian Cathedral, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott After an architectural competition, this design of Sir George Gilbert Scott was chosen from six others. One of three designs by Sir George Gilbert Scott, for a church...

02 September 2009

1861 – Royal Museum, Edinburgh

Architect: Captain Francis Fowke Forming the major part of the National Museums of Scotland, the Royal Museum is located in Chambers Street and was designed by Captain Francis Fowke, of the Royal Engineers....