Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh

02 September 2009

1844 – Tolbooth St John’s, Edinburgh

Architects: J. Gillespie Graham / Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin A large Gothic church both in architectural style and for its dark brooding presence. A collaboration between local architect J Gillespie Graham and the...

02 September 2009

1835 – St Mark’s Unitarian Church, Edinburgh

Architect: David Bryce A fine facade with tall roundheaded windows masks a good galleried interior with cast iron columns.

02 September 2009

1829 – National Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: Charles Robert Cockerell The National Monument was built as an act of deliberate folly and contrary to popular lore was not the result of lack of funds. Built as a National Monument...

02 September 2009

1823 – Melville Monument, Edinburgh

Architect: William Burn Built in 1823, the Melville Monument is a 41 metre high tribute to Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville. Described as the most powerful scot of his time and described as “absolute...

02 September 2009

1818 – City Observatory, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: William Playfair The third design for this Observatory, the original building (centre of photograph) is a small cruciform classical temple with a central telescope and dome. The architect William Playfair acquired the...

02 September 2009

1807 – Nelson Monument, Calton Hill, Edinburgh

Architect: Robert Burn Designed shortly after the Battle of Trafalgar, the stone tower has some excellent views of the city. The castellated base was added 1814-16 to the design of Thomas Bonnar.

02 September 2009

1784 – St Andrew’s & St George’s Church, Edinburgh

Architect: Major Andrew Frazer Originally designed without the fine steeple, the church was built as an eliptical building with fine portico. The steeple was added three years after completion.

02 September 2009

1772 – Buchan House, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

One of the original houses (the home of the Earl of Buchan) on St Andrew Square and originally harled. The ground floor was adapted in 1840. The building was cleaned and pointed in...

02 September 2009

1771 – Dundas Mansion, St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh

Architect: Sir William Chambers Built on a prominent site on St Andrew’s Square, this would have be the site for a church to mirror that built as St George’s Church on Charlotte Square....