Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Edinburgh

02 September 2009

1633 – Tron Kirk, Edinburgh

Architect: John Mylne Midway between the Castle and Holyrood Palace on the Royal Mile, Tron Kirk has been much adapted over the centuries. Originally it was T-shaped in plan, but it was shortened...

02 September 2009

1367 – Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland

The site of the castle was probably first occupied in the Iron Age, although the first documented record comes from the 6th Century. St. Margaret, the wife of Malcolm III, died in the...

02 September 2009

1591 – Canongate Tolbooth, Edinburgh

Once the heart of the Canongate area, the Tolbooth contained a council chamber and jail. The chamber was accessible via the external staircase o the first floor while the jail was beneath it....

02 September 2009

1833 – St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh

St Giles’ Cathedral, the High Kirk of Edinburgh, with its distinctive open crown steeple supported by eight flying buttresses mainly dates from the fifteenth century. Between 1829 and 1833 the building was “modernised”...

25 June 2009

1961 – Scottish Provident Building, Edinburgh

Architect: Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul A fine office block on St Andrews Square with office accommodation defined as the horizontal elements and a vertical services tower. Despite being over forty years old,...

25 June 2009

1999 – Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh

Architect: Benson + Forsyth In 1991 architects Benson + Forsyth were selected as winners of the architectural competition to design the new Museum of Scotland. Sited opposite that other well known Edinburgh landmark,...

25 June 2009

1999 – Dynamic Earth Centre, Edinburgh

Architect: Hopkins Architects Designed by Sir Michael Hopkins and featuring his trademark tensile fabric tent, the Dynamic Earth Centre near Holyrood Palace comprises three main parts. The most obvious one is the fabric...

09 June 2009

1896 – North Bridge Street Reconstruction, Edinburgh

Architect: Scott & Williamson First Premiated Design by J.N. Scott & J.A. Williamson

09 June 2009

1896 – North Bridge Street Reconstruction, Edinburgh

Architect: Gibson & Russell Second Premiated Design