Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733)

Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733) was the leading exponent of Palladianism in Ireland along with Richard Cassels. In 1726 Pearce became the MP for Ratoath after a disputed election. His father, General Edward Pearce was first cousin to Vanburgh and Pearce came under his tutelage in 1715 after his father’s death. He spent three years travelling in France and Italy studying as an architect before returning to Ireland to practice. His most important work is the former Houses of Parliament (1728-1739) in College Green now the Bank of Ireland which was completed after his death. Although later extended by Gandon And Johnston, his design can still be seen with the central arcade of columns and pediment. The original octagonal House of Commons was burnt in 1792 and later demolished but his House of Lords survives intact. He also designed the south façade of Drumcondra House (1727) and Cashel Palace (1731) along with many other country and town houses including two at Henrietta Street for Luke Gardiner.