Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Essex

08 May 2014

1899 – London & Counties Bank, Clacton-on-sea, Essex

Architect: Baker & May “This building is just completed. The ground floor consists of the bank office, manager’s room, waiting – room, and strong – rooms, Mo. ; the manager’s residence is arranged...

01 May 2013

1920 – Design for a concrete church, Stanford-le-hope, Essex

Architect: John H. Beart Foss From The Building News, September 3 1920: “This Roman Catholic church consists of a wide nave and apsidal sanctuary, lit by a tall clerestorv window above the flat...

05 April 2013

1919 – Two Unit Concrete Cottages, Clockhouse Way, Braintree, Essex

Architect: Charles H. B. Quennell Published in The Building News, October 24 1919: “Two Unit Concrete Cottages, Braintree, Essex. Plan, elevation, and view. Messrs. Charles H. B. Quennell, F.R.I.B.A., and W.F. Crittal, Architects....

03 October 2012

1879 – Round & Green’s Bank, Colchester, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee A small independent banking house, in operation since the 1820s. In 1891, it (as Round, Green, Hoare, & Co.) merged with Gurney’s of Norwish, and was inturn taken over...

01 September 2012

1884 – Training College for Mistresses, Saffron Walden, Essex

Architect: Edward Burgess Now known as Bell College – an English language residential school. Published in The Building News,July 18th 1884.

20 May 2012

1874 – Labourers Cottages, Hatfield, Essex

Architect: Fred Chancellor From The Building News, October 23 1874: “We give this week plans and sketch of a pair of cottages, several of which have been built upon the estates of G....

01 May 2012

1870 – Church, Ford End, Great Waltham, Essex

Architect: Fred Chancellor The foundation stone of the Church, laid in 1870 refers to the older name, Fourth End, instead of Ford End. Unfortunately, this church had structural problems because it had been...

14 April 2012

1883 – St. Thomas’s Church, Brentwood, Essex

Architect: Ernest C. Lee Published in The Building News, July 25th 1879. On 14th February 1881 the local MP, Octavius Coope laid the foundation-stone in the west wall of the present church. Two...

11 January 2012

1871 – Farm Homestead at Lawford Hall, Essex

Architect: W. Lewis Baker “These buildings were erected in the year 1871, for. M. Nichols, Esq., of Lawford Hall near Manningtree. The buildings and the two open yards shown on the plan attached...