Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of France

30 June 2010

1731 – Hôtel Biron (Musée Rodin), Paris

Architect: Jacques Gabriel & Jean Aubert The Hôtel Biron is an hôtel particulier, built by Jacques Gabriel and his associate designer Jean Aubert, in 1728-31. Since 1919 it has housed the Musée Auguste...

25 June 2010

1863 – New Mairie, Paris

As published in The Builder, November 14 1863.

21 June 2010

1860 – Palais de la Bourse, Lyon, France

Architect: René Dardel Designed as a multipurpose building to house the Chamber of Commerce and the Commercial Court as well as a museum of art and industry, construction started in 1856 and the...

21 June 2010

1674 – Hotel de Ville, Lyon, France

Architect: Jules Hardouin-Mansart The Town Hall on place des Terreaux, was rebuilt in 1674 after a fire, by architects Jules Hardouin-Mansart and Robert de Cotte. In 1792 during the French Revolution, the half-relief...

21 June 2010

1993 – Opéra Nouvel, Lyon, France

Architect: Jean Nouvel In 1756, one of the first opera houses created inside an existing freestanding building was opened in Lyon. It was designed by Jacques-Germain Soufflot, the architect of the Panthéon in...

21 June 2010

1875 – Villa for Baron S. St.Trivier, Lyon, France

Architect: T.T. Smith Published in The Building News, January 22nd 1875.

19 May 2010

1929 – Villa Savoye, Poissy, France

Architect: Le Corbusier Situated at Poissy, outside of Paris, the Villa Savoye is one of the most recognisable architectural icons of the International Style. The Villa Savoye was designed as a weekend country...

01 December 2009

Palais du Louvre, Paris

A castle was built here around 1190 as a stronghold on the river bank, and in 1370 this castle was converted into a Palace on the orders of King Charles V. This was...

01 December 2009

1330 – Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris

Sited on an island in the middle of the river Seine, the Cathedral of Notre Dame is an imposing Gothic building. Construction began in 1163 and continued until 1330. With its two towers...