Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of France

25 November 2009

1900 – Musée d’Orsay, Paris

Architect: Victor Laloux The Orsay station, the masterpiece of modernism and industry in 1900 greatly influenced the architecture of American stations. Yet it was soon obsolete and was used for varied purposes: it...

25 November 2009

1683 – St. Thomas d’Aquin, Paris

Architect: Pierre Bullet Originally a Dominican monastery, the church of St Thomas Aquineas was built in nine months although the facade was later finished between 1765 and 1770. The main facade is a...

25 November 2009

1913 – Galleries Lafayette Department Store, Paris

Architect: Georges Chédanne & F. Chanut Originally there were two of these amazing spaces, but the second was removed in the 1950s. 35 metres tall, it is a riot of Art Nouveau decoration,...

25 November 2009

1659 – Hôtel Salé (Museum Picasso), Paris

Architect: Jean Bouiller de Bourges Now converted to the Picasso Museum, this former mansion was built for Pierre Albert, Seigneur de Fontenay. It was built between 1656-59. The house has a fine gateway...

25 November 2009

1840 – Place de la Bastille, Paris

Architect: Jean Antoine Alavoine Previously the site of the Bastille, the fortress built by Charles V between 1370-82. This was removed around 1789, and Napoleon commissioned a fountain for the site. This later...

25 November 2009

1868 – Palais de Justice, Paris

Architects: Joseph L. Duc & Honoré Daumet Part of the much larger Conciergerie complex, this extension of the Palais de Justice was built between 1857-68. It faces a small tree filled square –...

25 November 2009

1932 – Etam Department Store, Paris

Architect: Franz Jourdain & Henri Sauvage A very interesting building on a narrow site, this small department store has Art Nouveau motifs and a fine original glazed canopy.

25 November 2009

1913 – Synagogue, Paris

Architect: Hector Guimard Designed by Hector Guimard who is better known for his work on the Paris Metro, this synagogue down a narrow street was built for a Polish-Russian Jewish group in 1913....

25 November 2009

1850 – Ste-Genevieve Library, Paris

Architect: Henri Labrouste Designed in 1839, and opened in 1851, the library was intended to contain the treasures of a nearby cloister. Like the Old Library in Trinity College Dublin, the library has...