Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Francis Johnston

23 September 2014

1802 – Markree Castle, Co. Sligo

Architect: Francis Johnston The castle, as we see it today, dates from 1802 with exterior changes by the architect Francis Johnston and with some changes made, mainly to the interior, in 1896. Semi-derelict...

22 September 2014

1807 – St Andrews Church, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston “The church, situated in St. Andrew’s-street, opposite Church-lane, was commenced in 1793, and completed in 1807, at an expense of £22,000. It is of elliptical form, 80 feet by 60,...

27 November 2013

1802 – Farnham House, Co. Cavan

Architect: Francis Johnston A large addition around 1802 by Francis Johnston gave the house its current form today. This is the latter day surviving Farnham House, which is now incorporated as the centrepiece...

28 May 2013

1770 – Archbishop’s Palace, Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / Francis Johnston Constructed as a large two-storey house, 7 bays wide by 4 bays deep, to designs by Thomas Cooley for Archbishop Richard Robinson. An additional floor was later...

10 April 2013

1812 – Garvey House, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Francis Johnston A large three-storey, seven-bay house, for local MP, Nathaniel Montgomery Moore. The house was named after his mother’s maiden name. Ultimately the cost was said to have been £70,000, which...

07 March 2013

1818 – Former Griffith Barracks, South Circular Road, Dublin

Originally known as the Richmond House of Correction and later the Richmond Bridewell. Opened in 1818 to designs by Francis Johnston, with later work in the 1850 by John Skipton Mulvany. In 1887...

28 August 2012

1816 – Richmond General Penitentiary, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Designed as an alternative to transportation, the Richmond General Penitentiary was part of an experiment into a penitentiary system which also involved Millbank Penitentiary, London. They were the first prisons...

14 March 2012

1813 – Survey of the Courts of Justice and the Several Holdings and Avenues Contiguous, Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Plan ‘Ordered by the House of Commons to be printed 14th July 1813′, the colouring was completed at the time of publication to indicate boundary lines and ‘Lines of Insulation...

09 January 2012

1824 – Royal Hibernian Academy, Lower Abbey St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Francis Johnston, in his retirement, funded and designed this building for the Royal Hibernian Academy. The building had keystones on the ground floor by John Smyth representing Palladio, Michaelangelo and...

Pages:1234Next »