G.C. Ashlin (1837-1921)

Between 1856 and 1860 he was articled to E.W. Pugin and in 1858 he entered the Royal Academy Schools, London. When E.W. Pugin received the commission for SS Peter and Paul, Cork, in 1859, he made Ashlin a partner with responsibility for their Irish work until late 1868. He married Pugin’s sister Mary Pugin in 1867. In 1861 he opened their office called Pugin & Ashlin at 90 St. Stephen’s Green. Their practice was primarily ecclesiastical. By far the most important commission undertaken in Ireland by Pugin and Ashlin was the building of Cobh Cathedral (1869-1919). The partnership broke up in 1870 and Ashlin practised on his own.