Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Glasgow

12 May 2014

1880 – Design for Municipal Buildings, Glasgow

Architect: G.P. Beater Unsuccessful entry for new municipal buildings for Glasgow by Dublin architect George P. Beater. “We learn that the number of drawings sent in last year for the proposed municipal buildings...

07 April 2014

1898 – Designs for Springburn Hall, Glasgow

Architect: William B.Whitie, Watson & Salmond, Thomson & Sandilands The Springburn Hall was a gift to the community from the Reid family of Neilson, Reid and Company. Constructed after an architectural competition. Designed...

12 February 2014

1896 – St. Enoch Subway Station, Glasgow

Architect:James Miller The Subway’s most distinctive building – an ornate, Jacobean, late Victorian red sandstone structure; designed by James Miller in 1896. Originally housed both a booking office and the headquarters of the...

19 January 2014

1904 – Warehouses for the City Improvement Trust, Nelson St., Glasgow

Architect: Thomson & Sandilands Not constructed as illustrated. “The site of this building was one of the many slum areas which the Improvements Trust of the City of Glasgow acquired for the purpose...

19 January 2014

1889 – Sun Insurance Co., Glasgow

Architect: William Leiper Former Sun Fire & Life Insurance Building Corner of West George St. and Renfield St. The former Sun Fire & Life Insurance Building in Glasgow is a category ‘A’ listed...

19 January 2014

1896 – Corn Exchange, Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: W.F. McGibbon Demolished to make way for an office building in the 1960s, itself demolished in 2008.

14 January 2014

1862 – Free Church, Kelvinside, Glasgow

Architect: Douglas & Stevenson Opened in 1862, closed in the 1970s, it has now been converted and is functioning as the “Òran Mór” restaurant.

12 January 2014

1901 – Design for Glasgow Royal Infirmary

Architect: Hippolyte J. Blanc Entry in architectural competition for a new hospital for Glasgow. The competition was won by James Miller.

09 January 2014

1898 – Norwich Union Chambers, 128 Hope St., Glasgow

Architect: John Hutchison A fine Victorian commercial building on a prominent corner site, constructed in red sandstone. Grade B listed.