Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Grand Canal

22 July 2014

1788 – Proposal to link Grand Canal with Liffey, Dublin

Architect: John Brownrigg A large ladder of canal locks proposed to join the James Street Basin of the Grand Canal with the River Liffey. At the Liffey end, small harbours would have been...

28 April 2011

2008 – Unbuilt Dublin – Outdoor Public Baths, Dublin Docklands

Architect: Julien De Smedt Architects The Dublin Docklands Open Air Bath seeks to create a new and open public space that will energize the newly developed surrounding area. A catalyst for growth of...

10 June 2010

1863 – Grand Canal Harbour, St. James’s Gate, Dublin

Architect: Christopher J. Mulvany This is part of the buildings that surround the former spur of the Grand Canal that led to the city Basin and harbour and nearby St James’s Infirmary. The...

17 February 2010

2007 – Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Quay, Dublin

Architect: Martha Schwartz Overly gimmicky and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to design a new city square in the south docklands. The use of colour, although imaginative, turns the landscaping into an Irish version of...

17 February 2010

1994 – Irish Waterways Visitor Centre, Grand Canal Docks, Dublin

Architect: Office of Public Works The Irish Waterways Visitor Centre is located in one of the waterways it celebrates – the 1796 Grand Canal Dock. Although seemingly a floating structure, the centre is...

17 February 2010

1796 – Grand Canal Locks, Dublin

The Earl of Camden opened the docks and one of the large locks, which separate the docks from the Liffey, was named after him. The other two being the Buckingham and Westmoreland Locks.