Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Great Northern Railway

16 April 2014

1891 – Railway Station, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

The railway opened in 1886 for the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway and taken over by the Great Northern Railway in 1876. This station was erected in 1891 to replace an old wooden structure....

16 April 2014

1891 – Railway Station, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills Closed in February 1965, it was opened by the Londonderry and Enniskillen Railway in May 1852. It was taken over by the Great Northern Railway in 1883. The GNR...

08 April 2014

1883 – Railway Station, Sion Mills, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William H. Mills Another one of William H. Mills’ characteristic polychromatic stations for the GNR – yellow brick relieved with black, brown, and purple courses. Constructed to replace an earlier LER station...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

Architect: William H. Mills Rebuilt by Chief Engineer of the GNR William Hemingway Mills in 1897 to replace the earlier Ulster Railway building of 1839. Designed in his trademark polychromic brickwork, now emblematic...

02 April 2014

1897 – Railway Station, Lurgan, Co. Armagh

Architect: William H. Mills Originally opened in 1845 for the Ulster Railway Company, but rebuilt in the Great Northern Railway house-style in the late 1890s. William H. Mills was the Chief engineer of...

01 April 2014

1925 – Engine Roundhouse, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: F.A. Champion One of two roundhouses to the same design on the Great Northern Railway system – the other at Clones still stands today. Built in 1925 out of reinforced concrete, its...

01 April 2014

1880 Railway Station, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Coalisland railway station closed in the late 1950s and is now largely gone.

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

18 March 2014

1879 – Great Northern Railway Offices, Amiens Street, Dublin

Architect: John Lanyon Designed as offices, constructed in brick and sandstone, and with an Italianate tower which ties in with the towers of the earlier main station building by William Deane Butler. The...

Pages:1234Next »