Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Great Northern Railway

01 April 2014

1880 Railway Station, Coalisland, Co. Tyrone

Coalisland railway station closed in the late 1950s and is now largely gone.

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

18 March 2014

1879 – Great Northern Railway Offices, Amiens Street, Dublin

Architect: John Lanyon Designed as offices, constructed in brick and sandstone, and with an Italianate tower which ties in with the towers of the earlier main station building by William Deane Butler. The...

03 April 2013

1876 – Great Northern Hotel, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: William J. Watson A large hotel facing Carlingford Lough, with a main frontage of almost 150 feet broken into a central block and two lower wings. Alongside the hotel were the Temperance...

02 April 2013

1873 – School, Euston Street, Greenore, Co. Louth

Built in 1873 to provide educational facilities for the children of the workers at the large port and railway facilities. The village of Greenore, at the mouth of Carlingford Lough, grew up in...

03 November 2012

1848 – Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Belfast

Architect: John Godwin The Ulster Railway opened Belfast’s first railway terminus in 1839, and as such was called just “Belfast” until 1852. By 1852 the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway was completed, making...

15 November 2011

1862 – Railway Station, Portadown, Co. Armagh

Architect: John MacNeill John MacNeill’s masterpiece, a long polychromuc brick station with the stately air of a great house. Demolished and replaced in the 1960s, the site is still derelict, the great piers...

25 May 2011

1851 – MacNeill’s Egyptian Arch, Newry, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Construction was completed in 1851 for the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway Company and was the result of collaboration between engineer Sir John MacNeill and constructor William Dargan. Locally...

25 May 2011

1852 – Craigmore Viaduct, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Known locally as the 18 Arches, the bridge was designed by John Benjamin MacNeill, an eminent Irish civil engineer, with construction beginning in 1849 for the Dublin and Belfast...