Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Great Northern Railway

25 May 2011

1852 – Craigmore Viaduct, Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir John MacNeill Known locally as the 18 Arches, the bridge was designed by John Benjamin MacNeill, an eminent Irish civil engineer, with construction beginning in 1849 for the Dublin and Belfast...

23 September 2010

1846 – Connolly Station, Amiens Street, Dublin

Architect: William Deane Butler & Iarnr√≥d √Čireann Architects Originally constructed for the Drogheda and Dublin Railway Company, this was the first of the four major Dublin Railway termini to be constructed. Still in...

28 January 2010

1855 – Railway Station, Howth, Co. Dublin

A fine little station built at the end of the branch line from Howth Junction on the main Dublin – Belfast route. The station is elevated above road level and accessed by a...

28 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Sutton, Co. Dublin

A small railway station on the branch line from the main Belfast-Dublin line to Howth. A very simple platform with a cantilevered canopy featuring decorative roundels with the intertwined initials of the Great...

28 January 2010

1852 – Railway Station, Skerries, Co. Dublin

Railway stations on this line to Belfast (Dublin Connolly, Malahide, Drogheda, Dundalk) are of a high quality with good quality ironwork and brick buildings. Skerries is no different, although it has been much...

28 January 2010

1851 – Station Master House, Malahide, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to others built for the Great Northern Railway in other locations.

28 January 2010

1903 – Malahide Railway Station, Co. Dublin

Architect: William H. Mills Designed in a similar style to other stations on this line notably Dundalk and Drogheda, Malahide Station is a wonderful small building in polychromic brick and with an excellent...

21 January 2010

1860 – Station Master’s House, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to other station master’s houses on this line, notably Malahide and Skerries. Photographic Copyright 2006 Gerry Byrne

21 January 2010

1853 – Railway Station, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth A single-storey Italianate style railway station, built 1853, with three-bay central limestone entrance porch flanked by advanced pedimented single-bays. Not as large as others on this line, but the building...


Skip to toolbar