Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Great Southern and Western Railway

01 April 2014

1846 – Railway Station, Newbridge, Co. Kildare

Newbridge Railway Station was opened in 1846 by the Great Southern and Western Railway line reached the town. Newbridge was then an important military centre, having its own cavalry barracks and being less...

18 March 2014

1906 – Barrow Railway Bridge, Co. Wexford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet...

13 March 2014

1860 – Penrose Quay Railway Station, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson The original railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway. Approached from Penrose’s Quay, and superceded by a new adjacent station in 1893 approached from Glenmire Road. The...

20 February 2014

1877 – Thomastown Viaduct, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles R. Galwey Published in The Engineer, April 19 1879. Designed for the Waterford & Central Ireland Railway Company. The bridge originally opened in 1850 with a wooden central span of timber...

26 October 2013

1853 – Railway Station, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Joshua Hargrave The railway terminus for the Great Southern and Western Railway, directly opposite their hotel property. The hotel is considered to be one of the first hotels owned by a railway...

06 June 2013

1854 – Great Southern Hotel, Killarney, Co. Kerry

Architect: Frederick Darley Constructed after an architectural competition in 1852, that was won by William Atkins with a premium also awards to Richard Brash. The railway line to Killarney from Dublin was about...

19 March 2013

1864 – North Station, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Waterford originally had two railway stations – the North Station, where the current station is today – and the South Station, near the old Waterford Stanley plant. The station opened on 26 August...

23 April 2012

1859 – Water-house and tank, Sallins, Co. Kildare

Architect: Fine brick water-house with cast-iron tank above for the provision of water to railway engines in the steam era.

23 April 2012

1859 – Ardsollus and Quin railway station, Co. Clare

Architect: Ardsollus and Quin railway station was a station on the railway from Limerick to Ennis and served the village of Quin. Opened by the Limerick and Ennis Railway, it was absorbed by...

Pages:123Next »