Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Great Southern and Western Railway

19 March 2013

1864 – North Station, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Waterford originally had two railway stations – the North Station, where the current station is today – and the South Station, near the old Waterford Stanley plant. The station opened on 26 August...

23 April 2012

1859 – Water-house and tank, Sallins, Co. Kildare

Architect: Fine brick water-house with cast-iron tank above for the provision of water to railway engines in the steam era.

23 April 2012

1859 – Ardsollus and Quin railway station, Co. Clare

Architect: Ardsollus and Quin railway station was a station on the railway from Limerick to Ennis and served the village of Quin. Opened by the Limerick and Ennis Railway, it was absorbed by...

13 April 2012

1847 – Portlaoise Railway Station, Co. Laois

Architect: Sancton Wood Originally a station on the Great Southern and Western Railway, Portlaoise Railway Station cost upwards of £5,000 to build. Designed by Sancton Wood and characteristically Gothic in style, it was...

23 April 2011

1847 – Railway Station, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare

Architect: Sancton Wood Fine picturesque railway station for the Great Southern by Sancton Wood. Wood designed many of the stations on the line below Kildare and before Limerick. No longer in use as...

11 August 2010

1846 – Engine Shed, Irish Rail Works, Inchicore, Dublin

Architect: Sancton Wood Inchicore Works is the headquarters for Mechanical Engineering and Rolling Stock maintenance in Irish Rail. Established in 1846, it is the largest engineering complex of its kind in Ireland with...

02 February 2010

1846 – Heuston Station, Dublin

Architect: Sancton Wood / Sir John MacNeill Formerly Kingsbridge Station and another of Dublin’s four railway termini, Heuston Station was commissioned in 1846 from Sancton Wood, an English architect. Easily the most impressive...

22 January 2010

1846 – Railway Station, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

A handsome Tudor Revival station building, typical of mid nineteenth-century railway architecture, and similar to the former Hazelhatch and Celbridge Station. Described in The Irish Railway Gazette of 20 July 1846 as “The...

19 January 2010

1847 – Old Railway Station, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Captain Moorsom & Sancton Wood Designed by Captain Moorsom and built a year later in a modified form by Sancton Wood, the architect of Heuston Station in Dublin, the old station is...


Skip to toolbar