Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

05 November 2012

1813 – Mountshannon House, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick

Architect: Lewis Wyatt The house was re-modeled in a neo-classical style after 1813 to the designs of Lewis Wyatt. The front 7-bay entrance was adorned by four ionic columns, the rear had a...

05 November 2012

1813 – Lismacue, Bansha, Co. Tipperary.

Architect: William Robertson The present house was completed in 1813 to the design of architect William Robertson. Located just outside Bansha in Co. Tipperary.

05 November 2012

1842 – Seafield, Co. Sligo

Architect: George Papworth Also known as Lisheen, and now almost completely ruined. Reputed to be haunted, the house was abandoned in the 1920s after repeated attempts to rid the house of its presence...

29 October 2012

1620s – Charlemont Fort, Co. Armagh

Charlemont Fort was a garrison built in Charlemont in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy. It was destroyed in 1920 by fire and the only building remaining today is the gatehouse. The 17th century governor’s...

29 October 2012

1828 – Clarina Castle, Clarina. Co. Limerick

Architect: James Pain & George Pain Also known as Elm Park. Designed by the Pains, for 3rd Baron Clarina, in the late 1820s with further work by Rawson Carroll in the 1880s. Demolished...

26 October 2012

1852 – Garron Tower, Co. Antrim

Architect: Lewis Vulliamy Designed by Lewis Vulliamy, an English architect. for the Marchioness of Londonderry on a spectacular elevated site. Described as “grimly rectangular”, the castle has little of the finesse or romanticism...

21 October 2012

1840s – Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipperary

In Burkes Guide to Country Houses, Kilcooley Abbey is described as a large winged house, build circa 1790 by Sir William Barker, 4th and last Baronet whose family had previously lived in the...

18 October 2012

1860s – Ardfinnan Castle, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Ardfinnan Castle was originally built circa 1186 to guard the river crossing on the River Suir, seven miles west of Clonmel. It was preserved as a military stronghold until the year 1649, when...

18 October 2012

1878 – Clonalis House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: F.P. Cockerell Two storey Italianate house designed for Charles O’Conor Don, replacing an earlier residence on Clonalis Estate dating from approximately 1750. This imposing building has 45 rooms and combines elements of...