Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

21 October 2012

1840s – Kilcooley Abbey, Co. Tipperary

In Burkes Guide to Country Houses, Kilcooley Abbey is described as a large winged house, build circa 1790 by Sir William Barker, 4th and last Baronet whose family had previously lived in the...

18 October 2012

1860s – Ardfinnan Castle, Cahir, Co. Tipperary

Ardfinnan Castle was originally built circa 1186 to guard the river crossing on the River Suir, seven miles west of Clonmel. It was preserved as a military stronghold until the year 1649, when...

18 October 2012

1878 – Clonalis House, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon

Architect: F.P. Cockerell Two storey Italianate house designed for Charles O’Conor Don, replacing an earlier residence on Clonalis Estate dating from approximately 1750. This imposing building has 45 rooms and combines elements of...

18 October 2012

1680s – Ballykilcavan House, Stradbally, Co. Laois

Ballykilcavan has full-height wings like flanking towers at the corners of the entrance front while similar towers on the rear of the house are now hidden by later extensions. These towers were a...

17 October 2012

1837 – Narrow Water Castle, Warrenpoint, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Duff A large and imposing Tudor-Revival mansion of about 1836, by Thomas Duff of Newry. Added to an existing house, Mount Hall, which was built in the 1680s. Mount Hall was...

17 October 2012

1867 – Courtown House, Gorey, Co. Wexford

Architect: William Burn Courtown House, near Gorey, was the seat of the Earls of Courtown. It was significantly altered and enlarged during the 19th century, including work by William Burn. The front consisted...

17 October 2012

1811 – Castlemacgarrett House, Claremorris, Co. Mayo

After the house of 1694 was destroyed in a fire in 1811, part of the current house was constructed. It was later extended in 1907 by Richard Orpen. There were unexecuted designs from...

16 October 2012

1883 – Antrim Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: William J. Fennell The original Antrim Castle, now a ruin, was originally built in 1613 by Sir Hugh Clotworthy and enlarged in 1662 by his son, the 1st Viscount Massereene. The Castle,...

15 October 2012

1807 – Kilwaughter Castle, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Nash The present building incorporates a Scottish style plantation house of ca 1622, built by Patrick Agnew. Between 1803-07 the present Georgian castle was built for Edward Jones Agnew by John...