Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

20 March 2012

1730 – Strokestown Park, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Richard Cassels / J. Lynn A substantial house in the Palladian manner of a central block flanked by wings and curved sweeps. The centre block was completed in 1696 but extended around...

19 March 2012

1703 – Gola House, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Unusual house, similar to another in the county at Anketell. An unpopular family, the owners of Gola had been planted by King William in the 1660s. During the troubles of 1922, the...

19 March 2012

1810 – Rockingham, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John Nash Originally built as a two storey house for General Robert King by John Nash. In 1822 an extra floor was added and after a fire in the 1860s it was...

19 March 2012

1730 – French Park, Co. Roscommon

Architect: Richard Cassels Large three storey mansion with two storey wings connected by simple curved sweeps. Similar in design to houses at Strokestown and the Bishop’s Palace at Elphin. In 1952 Lord de...

19 March 2012

1823 – Mitchelstown Castle, Mitchelstown, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain & George Pain In 1823, after his succession to his title, George, 3rd Earl of Kingston, demolished the previous Palladian house and replaced it with a new castle designed by...

14 March 2012

1730s – St Wolstan’s, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

The buildings of St. Wolstan’s priory were probably converted into a house for Sir John Alen before his death in 1561. The present house is said to have been first built in the...

11 March 2012

1812 – Ballyheigue Castle, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison & William Vitruvius Morrison Long rambling castle sited across a hillside. Burnt during 1921, a wing was recently restored. The grounds are now a golf course. Interestingly while both illustrations...

20 February 2012

1726 – Drumcondra House, Dublin

Architect: Edward Lovett Pearce Designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce and was built in 1726 for Sir Marmaduke Coghill who had lived in nearby Belvedere House. In 1842 Drumcondra House was rented by...

14 February 2012

1780s – Baronston House, Ballynacargy, Co. Westmeath

Baronston also known as Baronstown, was a three-storey centre block joined to two-storey wings by curved sweeps. In 1903, a large, gabled, Edwardian villa was constructed on the site of the central block,...