Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

03 February 2011

1856 – Gosford Castle, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Hopper Construction of the castle began in 1819 and finished in the 1850s. It was commissioned by Archibald Acheson, 2nd Earl of Gosford and the architect was Thomas Hopper, one of...

28 November 2010

1860 – Aughentaine Castle, Fivemiletown, Co. Tyrone

Aughentaine Castle consisted of a two-storey main block and a lower two-storey wing, with two tall Italianate campaniles of equal height, one at each end. There was an open porch; two-light and three-light...

28 November 2010

1840 – Northland House, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone

Northland House was a three-storey, irregular classical mansion, dating in its final form from around 1840. Also known at times as Northland Park and Dungannon Park. Robert Woodgate is believed to have designed...

17 October 2010

1730 – Bellamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: Sir Edward Lovett Pearce Built between 1725 and 1730 for Thomas Coote, once Lord Justice of Ireland, and designed by Coote’s gifted nephew, architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Bellamont Forest is one...

29 June 2010

1811 – Caledon House, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash The estate was bought from the seventh Earl of Cork for £94,400 by James Alexander (later first Earl of Caledon) in 1776. Between 1806 and 1811 the first Earl of...

15 April 2010

1550s – Myrtle Grove, Youghal, Co. Cork

A tudor house dating from the 1550s that was inhabited by Sir Walter Raleigh during his time as Mayor of Youghal in the 1580s. With its tall chimneys, and many gables, the house...

02 April 2010

1750s – Marino House, Clontarf, Co. Dublin

The home of James Caulfeild, 1st Earl of Charlemont, who was responsible for hiring William Chambers to design the nearby Casino on the estate. Lord Charlemont was well known for his love of...

20 March 2010

1838 – Cranmore House, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo

Built in 1838 by Alexander Glendenning Lambert, who was an agent for the Knox family, and had connections with the Glendenning Banking Family. The roof was removed in the 1950s to avoid taxes...

09 January 2010

1890s – Waterford Castle, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Romaine-Walker A small Norman keep that was extended and “restored” in the late 19th century. An initial restoration took place in 1849, but it was English architect W.H. Romaine-Walker who extended...