Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

04 April 2011

1866 – Gurteen le Poer, Gurteen, Co. Waterford

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts Constructed for Edmond de la Poer, whose family has held land here from Norman times. Construction commencing in 1863, and was completed in 1866, to designs by Samuel Ussher...

04 April 2011

1747 – Woodstock House, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon / William Robertson Originally built 1845-47 for Sir William Fownes to designs by Francis Bindon. Later extended with flanking wings by William Robertson in 1804-06. A later conservatory c.1860 was...

23 March 2011

1820 – Castle Freke, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Morrison Ruined for many years, currently undergoing reconstruction.

14 March 2011

1722 – Castletown House, Celbridge, Co. Kildare

Architects: Alessandro Galilei & Edward Lovett Pearce Castletown is the largest and grandest Palladian country house in Ireland. It was built for William Conolly (1662-1729), the Speaker of the Irish House of Commons....

03 February 2011

1856 – Gosford Castle, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Hopper Construction of the castle began in 1819 and finished in the 1850s. It was commissioned by Archibald Acheson, 2nd Earl of Gosford and the architect was Thomas Hopper, one of...

28 November 2010

1840 – Northland House, Dungannon, Co. Tyrone

Northland House was a three-storey, irregular classical mansion, dating in its final form from around 1840. Also known at times as Northland Park and Dungannon Park. Robert Woodgate is believed to have designed...

28 November 2010

1860 – Aughentaine Castle, Fivemiletown, Co. Tyrone

Aughentaine Castle consisted of a two-storey main block and a lower two-storey wing, with two tall Italianate campaniles of equal height, one at each end. There was an open porch; two-light and three-light...

17 October 2010

1730 – Bellamont Forest, Cootehill, Co. Cavan

Architect: Sir Edward Lovett Pearce Built between 1725 and 1730 for Thomas Coote, once Lord Justice of Ireland, and designed by Coote’s gifted nephew, architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce. Bellamont Forest is one...

29 June 2010

1811 – Caledon House, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash The estate was bought from the seventh Earl of Cork for £94,400 by James Alexander (later first Earl of Caledon) in 1776. Between 1806 and 1811 the first Earl of...