Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

29 September 2009

1827 – Lough Fea, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Thomas Rickman Designed for the Shirley family by the historian Thomas Rickman and which is his only Irish commission, Lough Fea was built in 1827. Lough Fea is unusal in that it...

29 September 2009

1836 – Castleshane, Co. Monaghan

Originally a medieval house on the site was constructed in 1591, this Elizabethan or Jacobean style house was built in 1836 for the Lucas Scudamores. Castleshane consisted of a four storey tower with...

29 September 2009

1874 – Hilton Park, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Hague Originally known as Maddenton, Hilton Park was redesigned by William Hague (primarily a catholic church architect) in 1874. Originally it may have been rebuilt after a fire in 1804 by...

29 September 2009

1781 – Anketell’s Grove, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan

The third Anketell’s Grove (the other two being replaced by each subsequent house on different sites) was originally built in 1781. A five bayed house with curved sweeps to two small wings, the...

29 September 2009

1870 – Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Castle Leslie stands on the site of an earlier castle and was designed by Charles Lanyon and W.H. Lynn in 1870 for John Leslie MP. Designed in the...

29 September 2009

1846 – Dartrey, Rockcorry, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Burn Also known as Dawson Grove, Dartrey was built in 1846 and designed by William Burn as a large Elizabethan Revivial mansion to replace an earlier house on the site. Built...

28 September 2009

1733 – Ballyhaise Agriculture College, Co. Cavan

Architect: Richard Cassels Ballyhaise House was built for the Newburghs, a local landowning family, in the 1730s. Richard Cassels (1690-1751) was of German origin and also known as Richard Castle. He settled in...

25 September 2009

1798 – Castle Coole, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: James Wyatt Castle Coole was constructed between 1789-1798 as the summer retreat of Armar Lowry-Corry, the 1st Earl of Belmore. Lord Belmore was the Member of Parliament for County Tyrone in the...

25 September 2009

1764 – Florence Court, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh

Florence Court is romantically named after the wife of Sir John Cole who first built a house on the spectacular site in the early 18th century. The present Palladian style house was probably...