Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

03 July 2014

1864 – Tinode House, Blessington, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Caldbeck Tinode House was burned to the ground in 1922 by the IRA, and has since been partially rebuilt. Part of the entrance front was reconstructed as a single storey as...

13 June 2014

1860s – Kircassock House, Magheralin, Co. Armagh

During the 1860s, the house was own by Jonathan Richardson MP, who had Alfred Waterhouse design some alterations, after which the house had assumed the form illustrated. During the Second World War the...

02 June 2014

1710s – Knox-Hannyngton House, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

The site contained a castle from the early 15th century, which was the headquarters of the O’Neills until the Flight of the Earls in 1607. The land was seized and granted to Sit...

29 May 2014

1660s – Beaulieu, Co. Louth

The buildings at Beaulieu, evolved over time, from tower house to Jacobean building, finally being redesigned as a grand mansion, in the English style, by the Tichbourne family. As such, it is a...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

02 May 2014

1862 – Seskinore House, Fintona, Co. Tyrone

Architect: Boyd & Batt The house was heavily remodelled and extended for George Perry McClintock. in 1862 to a design by Derry and Belfast-based architects Boyd & Batt. Demolished in the early 1950s.

15 April 2014

1868 – Violet Hill, Bray, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William Fogerty A medium sized country house, originally finished in brick, and now rendered and painted. The stables and part of the house have been converted into apartments. For a time in...

14 April 2014

1876 – Killynether House, Comber, Co. Down

Architect: Henry Chappell Constructed as part of the Marquis of Londonderry’s estate and extended and remodelled in the early 1870s. Demolished in the 1960s by the National Trust after being used as a...

01 April 2014

1790c – Drumcairne, Stewartstown, Co. Tyrone

A fine late Georgian house, used by the Earl of Charlemont as his home after Roxborough Castle was burnt in 1922.