Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

18 February 2014

17th C. – Turvey House, Donabate, Co. Dublin

Turvey House was demolished in 1987. Originally built in the 16th Century by Sir Patrick Barnewall using the stones from the ruins of Grace Dieu Nunnery. A late 17th century house was built...

18 February 2014

1731 – Furness House, Naas, Co. Kildare

Architect: Francis Bindon The 3-bay centre block is of cut ashlar limestone, with pilasters and lions around the door. Attributed to Francis Bindon. In 1783 two wings were added and in 1795 a...

18 February 2014

1760 – Dowth Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: George Darley Dowth Hall dates from c.1760 and was built for John, Viscount Netterville (1744-1826), and probably designed by George Darley. According to theirishaesthete.com: “The real delight of Dowth lies in its...

18 February 2014

1700 – Platten Hall, Co. Meath

Architect: Sir William Robinson Construction started circa 1700 for Alderman John Graham. According to Maurice Craig, possibly designed by Sir William Robinson. Demolished in the 1950s. Replaced by a smaller house on the...

30 January 2014

1730 – Tollymore Park, Bryansford, Co. Down

Architect: Thomas Wright / Charles Lanyon / James Rawson Carroll Much extended country house, around four sides of a courtyard, designed and added to by a number of architects. The original house was...

07 January 2014

1713 – Gowran Castle, Co. Kilkenny

The original Gowran Castle was built in the late 14th century by the Earls of Ormonde. Badly damaged in the Cromwellian wars and was all but a ruin when Charles Agar acquired a...

07 January 2014

1819 – Gowran Castle, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: William Robertson Designed and built by William Robertson for 2nd Viscount Clifden. between 1816 and 1819. The centrepiece of the building is the mainfront exhibiting expert masonry in locally-sourced Kilkenny limestone. Possibly...

07 January 2014

1802 – Castlecomer House, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: John Johnston The original Castlecomer House, the family seat of the Wandesfordes, was built in 1638. It was burned down during the battle of Castlecomer in 1798. A replacement and larger house...

13 December 2013

1739 – Frescati House, Blackrock, Co. Dublin

Built for the provost of Trinity College, John Hely Hutchinson, it was later acquired in the 1750s by the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster. rescati became one of their three principal residences alongside Leinster...