Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

02 October 2013

1744 – Bessborough House, Fiddown, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Francis Bindon Large Palladian house with wings, designed by Francis Bindon around 1744 on the site of an earlier house. Later addition of a porch by Sir Thomas Manly Deane, who also...

03 July 2013

1811 – Castle Howard, Avoca, Co. Wicklow

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison Built 1811 around the fabric of an earlier house. The house is designed part in Romantic Castle style and part in Abbey style. Described by Mark Bench-Jones as “a...

18 June 2013

1830 – Duckett’s Grove, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden / John Macduff Derick In his book A Guide to Irish Country Houses Mark Bence-Jones describes Duckett’s Grove as a “square house of two and three storeys, transformed into...

18 June 2013

1625 – Huntingdon Castle, Clonegal, Co Carlow

Huntington Castle was built in 1625 as a garrison on the strategically important Wexford to Dublin route. After 50 years the soldiers moved out and the Esmonde family began to convert it into...

11 June 2013

1898 – Cairndhu House, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Samuel Patrick Close The existing houses was extended in 1897-98 by Samuel P. Close for John Stewart Clarke. In the process it became a large multi-gabled house of asymmetrical plan and irregular...

06 June 2013

1669 – Crotta House, Kilflynn, Co. Kerry

Architect: Richard Morrison Original house of 1669, owned by the Ponsonby family. Additions of 1819 in a Jacobean style to the existing house by Sir Richard Morrison, who added gables and the curvilinear...

25 May 2013

1805 – Shanganagh Castle, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sir Richard Morrison Developed in the early 1800s around a plain classical house of the mid 18th century. Morrison was commissioned by Major-General Sir George Cockburn into a romantic-looking castle with space...

24 May 2013

1874 – Dromore Castle, Co. Limerick

Architect: Godwin & Crisp Dromore Castle is a very distinctive building sitting high on a hill overlooking two lakes in Co. Limerick, designed in the Gothic revival style by Edward William Godwin and...

22 May 2013

1776 – Tervoe House, Kilkeedy, Co. Limerick

Architect: Built in 1776 by Colonel W.T. Monsell MP on the site of an earlier house. Demolished in the 1950s. Photograph from the Irish Tourist Association Survey 1943-44.