Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

22 January 2013

1814 – Moydrum Castle, Co. Westmeath

Architect: Richard Morrison Described in 1837 by Lewis, “About a mile and a half from Athlone on the Leinster side of the Shannon is Moydrum Castle the handsome residence of Viscount Castlemaine a...

14 January 2013

1862 – Lenaboy Castle, Galway

Architect: Samuel Ussher Roberts House built for Captain O’Hara at a reported cost of £3,500 in the Dublin Builder. Later taken over by the Sisters of Mercy and ran as an Industrial School,...

02 January 2013

1820 – Rathmullan House, Co. Donegal

Built in 1820 as a summer house for the family of Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Knox, Rathmullan House is now a small country house hotel.

30 December 2012

1852 – Bangor Castle, Co. Down

Architect: William Burn This imposing building was built for Robert Edward Ward and his family in 1852. It is now (since the 1950s) the headquarters of North Down Borough Council who use the...

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...

30 November 2012

1619 – Castle Caldwell, Co. Fermanagh

Castle Caldwell was built between 1612 and 1619, during the time of the Plantation of Ulster, by the Blennerhassetts, in classic Planter style; a bawn with 2 semi-circular projecting flanker towers and a...

28 November 2012

1803 – Killymoon Castle, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Killymoon Castle is one of John Nash’s earliest castles, built ca 1803 for William Stewart MP, incorporating part of the previous house which was burnt ca 1800. Built on a...

28 November 2012

1829 – Drum Manor, Kildress, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William Hastings Rebuilt in 1829 by Major Richardson Brady in a heavily symmetrical and very flat “Regency Baronial” style. Later extended and romanticised by William Hastings who added a four storey tower,...

27 November 2012

1836 – Mount Leinster Lodge, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson Detached four-bay two-storey Tudor Revival house with half-dormer attic, c. 1840, on an asymmetrical plan with granite ashlar façade having carved stone dressings including mullioned bay and oriel windows and...