Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish country houses

13 December 2012

1765c – Stuart Hall, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Stuart Hall was built in the 1760s for Baron Stuart, later Viscount Castle Stuart. It was originally a three-storey Georgian house, joined to an old tower-house by a 19th century Gothic wing. More...

30 November 2012

1619 – Castle Caldwell, Co. Fermanagh

Castle Caldwell was built between 1612 and 1619, during the time of the Plantation of Ulster, by the Blennerhassetts, in classic Planter style; a bawn with 2 semi-circular projecting flanker towers and a...

28 November 2012

1803 – Killymoon Castle, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: John Nash Killymoon Castle is one of John Nash’s earliest castles, built ca 1803 for William Stewart MP, incorporating part of the previous house which was burnt ca 1800. Built on a...

28 November 2012

1829 – Drum Manor, Kildress, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone

Architect: William Hastings Rebuilt in 1829 by Major Richardson Brady in a heavily symmetrical and very flat “Regency Baronial” style. Later extended and romanticised by William Hastings who added a four storey tower,...

27 November 2012

1836 – Mount Leinster Lodge, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson Detached four-bay two-storey Tudor Revival house with half-dormer attic, c. 1840, on an asymmetrical plan with granite ashlar fa├žade having carved stone dressings including mullioned bay and oriel windows and...

27 November 2012

1835 – Ballydarton House, Fenagh, Co. Carlow

Architect: Daniel Robertson This is a detached two-storey Tudor Revival country house with half-dormer attic, built c.1830, with three-stage battlemented tower to centre on a square plan, cut stone dressings including mullioned bay...

27 November 2012

1840s – Innismore Hall, Derrybrusk, Co. Fermanagh

A smaller country house from the mid 1840s. A distinctive design with a curved bow end elevation and a bowed portico to the front. Demolished in the 1950s, but the four large Corinthian...

10 November 2012

1837 – Castle Upton, Templepatrick, Co. Antrim

Architect: Edward Blore Blore was reponsible for alterations and enlarging of House for 1st Lord Templetown in 1836-37. There is a fine mausoleum by Robert Adam in the graveyard from 1789. in the...

08 November 2012

1825 – Convamore House, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork

Architect: James Pain Large classical house built on an elevated site overlooking the River Blackwater, constructed for the 1st Earl of Listowel. It remained the Irish seat of the family until it was...