Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish Market Houses

24 March 2015

1665 – Market House, High Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Belfast’s first market house of 1665 was located at the corner of High Street next to Cornmarket. According to an 1823 published history of Belfast, “In 1665 the inhabitants of Malone Falls Dunmurry...

06 March 2015

1839 – Market House, Ederney, Co. Fermanagh

Architect: William Deane Butler Originally constructed as a market house circa 1839 and converted into a townhall in 1889. It’s a substantial building for a small town, with fine stone walls and central...

03 March 2015

1790 – Market House, Hillsborough, Co. Down

Architect: James McBlain The former Market house is a charming building of three blocks pyramidally arranged. The lower building houses two rectangular sections at each end, each three bays long. One of these...

03 March 2015

1795 – Market House, Ballynahinch, Co. Down

Described in Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland as ” There is a large court-house in the square, built by Lord Moira in 1795, but now in a dilapidated state.” After lying derelict for...

13 January 2015

1826 – Town Hall, Edenderry, Co. Offaly

Architect: Thomas Duff Originally constructed as a market house, and built in 1826 by Lord Downshire to a design by Thomas Duff. Until recently occupied by a courthouse to first floor and county...

09 December 2014

1800 – Market House, Kilkeel, Co. Down

Sited at the top of Kilmorey Square, the Market House contained a covered market space at ground level with a municipal space above. The upper floor was used as a courthouse and also...

27 August 2013

1844 – Design for Market House, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Deane Butler Design for Market House for Clones. Largely built as illustrated minus the small tower over the main facade. In use for many years as a library with its ground...

09 April 2013

1799 – Court House, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: John Carr The Sessions House, as it was first known, was built as part of the Lismore estate, by Lord Devonshire and can be attributed to the Architect John Carr. Like many...

14 March 2013

1819 – Library, Ballymahon, Co. Longford

Architect: S. Mullen Former markethouse converted into a public library. Quite a plain two storey building of three bays, with segmental-headed arches on ground floor and Shuldham family arms in eaves pediment. Tastefully...

Pages:123Next »