Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Irish Market Houses

14 March 2013

1800c – Market House, Portarlington, Co. Laois

Still intact, sited in the centre of the market square, but now much defaced by its usage as a service station. A simple markethouse with open archways at ground level to provide covered...

03 January 2013

1622 – Exchange or Market House, Derry

Originally erected by the London Corporation at a cost of over 500 pounds after a decision taken in 1616 that “a market house and a town house should be erected in Derry, by...

21 September 2012

1762 – Harrison Hall, Roscommon, Co. Roscommon

Architect: John & George Ensor Now a branch of the d Bank of Ireland but known also as Harrison Hall. Originally built as a rectangular-plan court house and market house in the mid-eighteenth...

08 May 2012

1727 – Corn Market House, Thomas St., Dublin

The Corn Market building was a long arcaded structure, the ground floor of which was completely open to the street. With thirteen arches on each side, and a central cupola, it was a...

27 February 2012

1848 – Market House, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan

Architect: William Walker The development of Ballybay town during the 18th century coincided with the purchase of the Ballybay Estate by Henry Leslie in 1712. Whilst the Leslie’s were largely absentee landlords, the...

03 February 2011

1595 – Market House, Kinsale, Co. Cork

The old market and court house is now Kinsales museum. With its distinctive dutch gables and slate hung facade, it is a striking design. It was here in 1915 that the inquest ito...

03 February 2011

1838 – Killucan Market House, Co. Westmeath

Fine stone market building with five wide arched opening at ground level with two floors of storage above, reached by an external stair.

19 January 2010

1789 – Market House, Tullamore, Co. Offaly

Architect: John Pentland A fine stone building with a ground floor that was originally arcaded with a meeting room above. Unfortunately as in so many cases around the country, the ground level has...

07 January 2010

1796 – The Corn Exchange, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: Francis Johnston Originally designed by Francis Johnston who lived in Drogheda from 1786 to 1793 while working on a commission from Primate Robinson. This building today houses Drogheda’s council offices. It is...