Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

J.J. McCarthy

03 July 2014

1865 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Killenaule, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Designed by leading Irish church architect J.J. McCarthy, the foundation stone was laid in 1859, with the church largely complete and used for mass by 1865. Not built as illustrated,...

07 May 2014

1879 – Mortuary Chapel, Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present-day entrance gates, offices and mortuary chapel at Glasnevin were designed by J.J. McCarthy (1817 -1882), Ireland’s pre-eminent architect of Catholic churches. Hiberno-Romanesque in style, a symbol of the...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

21 August 2013

1863 – McCarthy Memorial, Mallow, Co. Cork

Architect: J.J. McCarthy From The Builder, January 30 1864: “This monument, recently erected in the parish church of Mallow, county Cork, in memory of the late Very Rev. Justin Canon McCarthy, is composed...

16 April 2013

1862 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Earlier church with new front, spire, and aisles added in 1860-62 by J.J. McCarthy. Dedicated in 1862, the internal work was finally completed by 1868. The interior was renovated in...

07 March 2013

1854 – St Brigid’s Church, Ballinakill, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The spire and tower was added by J.J. McCarthy around 1854 to an earlier church. The earlier building is a simple cruciform church, similar to many found in smaller towns...

20 December 2012

1861 – Church of the Holy Cross, Tramore, Co. Waterford

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The interior of this fine gothic revival church has been completely vandalised by the movement interpreting the Vatican II guidelines. Instead of fine marble fittings, the interior has a rough...

19 December 2012

1870s – Loreto Convent, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Although a convent and school still exists on this site, the buildings illustrated are either gone or unrecognisable. The school was started in 1857 when they took over the house with curved bays...

09 March 2012

1861 – St. Michael’s Church, Tipperary, Co. Tipperary

Architect: J.J. McCarthy Constructed between 1855 and 1861 to desuigns in “Early English” style by McCarthy. Later work by John Hardman on a particularly fine altar, which is still intact today, albeit minus...

Pages:1234Next »