Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

James Street Dublin

18 December 2013

1308 – Old City Conduit, James St., Dublin

A former water fountain or conduit constructed in the James Street area of Dublin. In 1244, the Dodder river was diverted at Firhouse and a canal known as the city watercourse was built...

17 December 2013

1790 – Fountain, James St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Sandys An obelisk with 4 sundials with a drinking fountain at its base, built in 1790 by the Duke of Rutland, the Lord Lieutenant. The architect Francis Sandys was responsible for...

22 April 2012

1923 – Lyric Cinema, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Patrick J.F. Munden & George L. O’Connor Image courtesy Irish Architectural Archive. Munden and Purcell collection, ref no. 85/141.60/2. Former cinema, long darkened, later in use as part of a commercial premises....

10 June 2010

1880 – Guinness Offices, St. James’s Gate, Dublin

Architect: George Wilkinson Fine Victorian office accommodation complete with elegant chimneys and good quality ironwork. Well maintained, it provides a public face for the brewery to the street.

21 February 2010

1948 – Guinness Power Station, St. James’s Gate, Dublin

Architect: F.P.M. Woodhouse & Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners On the northern side of James Street, lies the brewery power station, a fine and monumental mid-century industrial building.

16 February 2010

1861 – Former Church of Ireland, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Joseph Welland Former Church of Ireland, now sadly missing most of its spire, and desconsecrated. For many years a commercial premises.

16 February 2010

1854 – St James’ Church, James Street, Dublin

Architect: Patrick Byrne Designed by Patrick Byrne who designed quite a few churches within walking distance. The building is carefully adapted to an irregular site so that the off-centre axis is largely unnoticed....

16 February 2010

1892 – Post Office, James Street, Dublin

Architect: J. Howard Pentland Fine little post office and adjoined sorting office by architect J. Howard Pentland. The Board of Works at this time was producing fine post offices across Ireland with a...