Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

J.J. O’Callaghan

14 March 2013

1878 – St Joseph’s Church, Mountmellick, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / W.H. Byrne & Son The main body of St. Joseph’s was constructed between 1872 and 1878, with the tower a later addition of 1904 by W.H. Byrne & Son....

09 March 2013

1881 – St Brigid’s Church, Clara, Co. Offaly

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan / Ralph H. Byrne Designed in 1876, and completed by 1881, and reminiscent of Pugin’s work at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Killarney – in particular the central crossing tower. The...

21 October 2012

1891 – Allied Irish Bank, Portlaoise, Co. Laois

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Built as a branch for the Munster & Leinster Bank in redbrick with limestone dressings. It is a fine Victorian gothic building with manager`s accommodation alongside with a separate entrance.

27 October 2011

1883 – O’Brien Institute, Marino, Clontarf, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Now known as the O’Brien Institute, this building was to serve as an orphan home and school, financed by a trust that was founded by Bridget O’Brien in 1876. After...

22 October 2010

1876 – Convent of the Sisters of Charity, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Small gothic revival convent by O`Callaghan with the nuns accommodation separated from the chapel by a small two-stage tower and belfry. Now disused but intact.

11 June 2010

1896 – Dolphin House, Essex Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Originally the Dolphin Hotel, a famous Dublin hostelry, this has now been converted to office space for the courts service. A fine Victorian exterior with much decoration including a very...

19 February 2010

1892 – Former Synagogue, Adelaide Road, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan The first purpose built Synagogue in Ireland, this building cost over 5,000 pounds in 1892 to build. Designed in a vaguely Byzantine style, the building was extended in 1925 to...

17 February 2010

1894 – No.22 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan A very prominent building on the end of the triangle formed by D’Olier and Westmoreland Streets and facing right down the centre of O’Connell Street. Designed to look like a...

20 January 2010

1894 – St. Mary’s Church, Haddington Road, Dublin

Architects: Charles Geoghegan, J.J. O’Callaghan & W.G. Doolin St Mary’s is the product of the work of several architects. In 1839 the original church on the site was constructed. In 1879, the rounded...