Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

John Benson

30 December 2009

1852 – Hyde Bridge, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Sir John Benson This is the main bridge in Sligo and was built between 1848-53 by local architect and engineer Sir John Benson. Originally it was dedicated to Queen Victoria but has...

06 November 2009

1860 – Central Markets, Cork

Architect: John Benson Home to the renowned English Market, the Central Markets have their primary entrance on Princes Street. the markets area network of pedestrian passageways linking various streets and alleys in the...

06 November 2009

1849 – Shandon Butter Market, Cork

Architect: John Benson Built close to St. Anne’s, the former butter market was once the centre of Cork trade. This is the rear entrance with its triumphal archway flanked by coupled columns and...

23 September 2009

1875 – St Lukes, Cork

Architect: Sir John Benson & William H. Hill Saint Luke’s Church of Ireland was the third church to stand on the site. Sir John Benson and William H. Hill designed the church in...

05 June 2009

Sir John Benson (1812-74)

Originally from County Sligo, Benson was appointed surveyor to Cork City and County in 1851 and spent the remainder of his short career there. In 1852 he designed the buildings for the Irish...

Pages:« Prev12