Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

John Bourke

11 March 2014

1861 – Design for SS Peter & Paul Church, Moate, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Although the foundation stone was laid in 1861, a disagreement between the architect John Bourke and the parish priest, in effect the client, meant that work stopped. Work began again...

02 May 2013

1861 – St. Mary’s Church, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

Architect: John Bourke Constructed between 1857-61., and considered one of Bourke’s finest works. The exterior is dominated by the slender tower and spire, with a set of five lancets with alternating blanks and...

17 February 2010

1834 – St Nicholas of Myra, Francis Street, Dublin

Architect: John Leeson / John Bourke Built between 1829-34 by John Leeson with later work by John Bourke in 1858, St Nicholas is the only church in the city to preserve its two...

21 January 2010

1845 – Church of The Navity, Chapelizod, Co. Dublin

Architect: John Bourke Built in 1845 and only costing £2,500, Chapelizod Church is an auster gothic building over a lofty crypt to raise it above the flood plain of the river Liffey which...

31 December 2009

1860 – St. Joseph’s Church, Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Architect: John Bourke Designed by John Bourke around 1860, this is a fine gothic revival church with a symmetrical composition. The main entrance porch is in the projecting tower. The interior is wide...

13 November 2009

1834 – Franciscan Friary Church, Waterford

Architect: Terence O’Reilly An imposing church in the Classical style, which dominates the streetscapes of both narrow lanes on to which it is sited. The soaring tower also serves to identify the church...

12 November 2009

1867 – St. Mary’s Church, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

Architect:John B. Keane, John Bourke, G.C. Ashlin, George Goldie Designed by John B. Keane, St. Mary’s took over twenty years to complete and Keane died during construction. The church was then completed by...

04 May 2008

1851 – St. Michan’s Presbytery, Halston Street, Dublin

Architect: John Bourke A fine presbytery house sited next to its church. Now facing across the public park created on the site of Newgate Gaol. Shame about the nasty uPVC windows that have...