Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Kenora

10 December 2009

1986 – Lake of the Woods Museum, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Prairie Architects Inc. The Lake of the Woods Museum houses a collection of over 15,000 articles, which reflect the area’s unique history and character. The exhibits focus on life between 1890 and...

10 December 2009

1969 – Best Western Hotel, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: M. MacLeod Interesting form but could have benefited from some extra storeys in height to make the proportions more pleasing. Beautiful site on the shore of Lake of the Woods.

10 December 2009

1960s – Notre Dame Du Portage Presbytery, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Earl A. Nelson Interesting modernist building constructed alongside the earlier church. A similar styled extension has also been added to the church.

10 December 2009

1924 – War Memorial, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Creber Bros Cenotaph commemorating the dead of the First World War completed in 1924.

10 December 2009

1911 – Land Registry Building, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Built as the Land Registry Building and used as such until 1964 when the province constructed a new building. It was designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

10 December 2009

1910 – Courthouse, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank R. Heakes Solid local and regional courthouse in an institutionalised version of Edwardian. Not particularly interesting if not for the unusual central tower. Designed by Frank Heakes, who was chief architect...

10 December 2009

1910 – Whistling Monkey Bar (Former Imperial Bank of Canada), Kenora, Ontario

Architects: Darling & Pearson Solid stone bank building in a vaguely Scottish Baronial style, now converted into a bar. Site of a celebrated bank robbery.

10 December 2009

1917 – St. Alban’s Cathedral, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Arthur J. Wills A small Anglican Cathedral, the head of the Diocese of Keewatin, with a fine but short tower and spire. Built to replace a previous cathedral of 1892 by Winnipeg...

10 December 2009

1910 – Kenricia Hotel, Kenora, Ontario

Architect: Frank Newell Now slightly down-at-heel, this once fine hotel is on Kenora’s Main Street and overlooks the lake. The building dominates the streetscape with its striking brickwork. Unfortunate alterations have been made...

Pages:12Next »