Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Kilkenny

25 March 2014

1884 – Design for St. Patrick’s Church, Kilkenny

Architect: Walter G. Doolin Unsuccessful entry in a limited competition to design a new church in 1884. By 1887, the Irish Builder was reporting that “owing to the lamented death of the late...

06 December 2013

1335 – Market Cross, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

From the Transactions of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society, 1843: “This interesting monument, which was erected in 1335, stood in the High-street, between the Butterslip and the Tholsel, and appears to have been an...

19 January 2010

Kilkenny Street Names

Butts Green Receives its name from the fact that the citizens practised archery at “Butts” on the green. Chapel Lane At one time the old James’ Street chapel (built between 1772 and 1774),...

19 January 2010

1285 – St Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The cathedral was built between 1202 and 1285 in an early English Gothic style out of the local limestone. Over the centuries, it has been restored and renovated many times notably by Sir...

19 January 2010

1225 – The Black Abbey, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

Founded by William Marshall the Younger, for the Dominican Friars in 1225, the Black Abbey was also known as the Convent of the One and Undivided Trinity. It was suppressed in 1543, converted...

19 January 2010

1245 – St. Francis Abbey, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The Franciscans came to Ireland in around 1226, and St Francis’s Abbey was founded sometime between 1231 April 1234. The first definite date for the abbey is October 15, 1245, when it received...

19 January 2010

1582 – Shee Alms House, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The Shees were a wealthy merchant family in Kilkenny in the sixteenth century much like the Rothes who built Rothe House. In 1582, Sir Richard Shee founded the alms house ‘to accommodate twelve...

19 January 2010

1594 – Rothe House, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

In 1594 a wealthy merchant called John Rothe built this magnificent Tudor mansion. Second and third generation houses were built around the cobelled courtyards and a well dating to 1604. The fa├žade houses...

19 January 2010

1761 – Tholsel, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house, custom-house,...

Pages:123Next »